6 Do’s and Don’ts After Knee Surgery
The recovery period after the acl surgery swelling can be challenging and painful. It is important to remember that phase during recovery is just as crucial as during the surgery.
To make your recovery period easier, here are some do’s and don’ts that you should follow after ACL surgery swelling.
- Take rehabilitation seriouslyFollowing your doctor’s prescription carefully after the acl surgery swelling is vital. One should perform all the exercises they have been asked to do, no matter how uncomfortable. It is common to experience pain initially. Doctors say the positive result after knee surgery depends 50% on the patient’s willingness. Take medications on time and get proper sleep for quick healing.
- Use ice and heat therapy.Swelling tends to last for 3 to 6 months after knee surgery. Thus, using ice packs is recommended as they can reduce inflammation. For the first few days, using the packs for 10-20 minutes, three to four times daily, is best to reduce swelling in the knee quickly. Once the swelling reduces, alternate ice and heat therapy is recommended to ease the stiffness and relax the muscles.
- Follow healthy routineA healthy routine and lifestyle are required for quicker healing. Smoking slows down the recovery process as it shrinks the blood vessels. Therefore if you smoke, try to quit after the surgery. Moreover, it is also recommended to quit alcohol if you are taking painkillers or blood thinner medications. Keep your weight balanced, as the extra weight will put more pressure on your knee. It is also best to strengthen leg muscles to enhance blood flow. Ask your doctor about the low-impact activities you can indulge in after the acl surgery swelling.
- Don’t put stress on the knee.Gaining weight or lifting heavy objects will put pressure on your knee; hence avoid it. While turning, turn your entire body, do not just twist your knee. Take care of your posture while sitting, bending or kneeling to reduce swelling in the knee quickly. It is best to consult your physical therapist to avoid any mishappening by disproportionate posture.
- Don’t undergo any surgical procedure while recovering.Surgical procedures while you are in the recovery period can lead to infection. Therefore it is advised to avoid consulting your doctor before any dental work or surgery, especially on the bladder or intestine.
- Keep going!It is important to remember that every surgery is different, and people react towards it differently. For some, the rate of recovery is faster and for some slower. It usually depends on the body type of a person. Hence try to be patient during the recovery after the knee surgery.
If you experience any problem after knee surgery, consult your doctor immediately. They can help you by providing effective treatment or precautionary steps to reduce swelling in the knee quickly.
What not to do after ACL surgery?
Taking precautions after knee replacement surgery is very important. It helps in quicker and easier recovery. Here are some of the things that are recommended not to do after ACL surgery.
Firstly in the hospital, try not to escape the bed alone. Ask for assistance, and immediately trying walking is the first thing not to do after ACL surgery.
At home, try not to:
- Do not skip any of your exercises
- Do not walk on the slippery floor without socks or skids
- Do not sit on soft coaches
- Do not walk without a suggested walker or cane
- Do not walk at night without a nightlight
- Do not indulge in activities while on medications for pain
- Do not drive until told by your doctors
- Do not give up
- Do not put pressure on your knee
- Do not dismiss the pain.
Following these steps and taking necessary precautions after knee replacement surgery helps with better recovery. Also, during the recovery phase, it is best to have someone with you who can aid you with all the day-to-day activities and avoid putting strain on your knee.
If you want to undergo knee surgery or look for an experienced surgeon to understand all about knee surgery recovery, visit Germanten Hospital. It has all the required amenities from experienced doctors, dedicated medical staff and advanced medical technology. Book your appointment now to get effective and safe treatment.