Robotic Knee Replacement vs Traditional Knee Replacement
Total knee replacement is a procedure for end-stage osteoarthritis patients or those with severe physical damage. It is done by placing implants in place of the original knees; the age category of the patients now includes younger patients looking for some of the best traditional knee replacements. The procedure is also known as total knee arthroplasty.
What is traditional total replacement surgery?
The old style of knee replacement is practised and still preferred by many surgeons in traditional knee replacement surgery. It depends highly on the surgeon’s expertise and keen vision to get an idea through x-rays. Traditional knee replacement surgery involves making an incision of 10 to 12 inches with surgical machines and tools.
Even though the procedure has been fruitful for many in the past years, it is an invasive procedure with a long recovery period. The traditional knee replacement dryer relies on the surgeons’ skills and their judgement ability through which they do bone section and soft tissue balancing.
Disadvantages of traditional knee replacement surgery
- The procedure is invasive and hence needs a longer healing period
- A good amount of soft tissue and skin has to be stretched and involved during the surgery
- Higher chances of wear and tear of the knee components due to improper alignment
- It depends mainly on the experience of the surgeon, who should be an expert in ensuring the success of the surgery
What is robotic knee replacement?
In robotic knee replacement surgery, the medical procedure prepares a virtual mode of the patient’s knee to prepare a plan before the surgery. With a computer, the doctor would guide the robotic arm, which is programmed and successfully replace the damaged knee tissue.
There are many robotic knee versus traditional knee replacements where the former is the winner. The major difference between robotic vs traditional knee replacement is that only the damaged portion of the knee is removed, and the other healthy intricate parts and tissues are not affected by the surgery. An implant is placed inside, allowing free movement after the knee has healed.
Benefits of robotic knee replacement surgery
Getting one of the best robotic knee replacements is a safe and informed decision. There are multiple advantages of robotic knee versus traditional knee replacement. Some of these are:
- The robotic knee replacement involves using smaller incisions, hence quick recovery and gaining back mobility.
- A major robotic vs traditional knee replacement advantage is the higher probability of long-term success of the procedure.
- It is better for those who want a safe and less invasive procedure. There is also laser damage done to the surrounding tissues.
- In traditional versus robotic knee replacement, the accuracy of the implant position does not completely rely on the surgeon. Robotic arms have better accuracy and hence give a more natural feeling post-surgery.
- Those who want a more customised and dedicated plan should go with robotic surgery. It is a major advantage of robotic knee versus traditional knee replacement.
- The chances of complications are much less.
- The robotic method employs the exact pattern of the patient’s joint movement and reduces the risks of damage to nearby cartilages and tendons.
- The procedure is mostly a success on the first attempt, and no cases of correction arise.
Who is an ideal candidate to undergo robotic knee replacement surgery?
If you are suffering from knee pain, you should consider visiting an orthopedician to get a better idea of the cause and available treatment options. The decision of surgery whether you are suitable for the surgery or not depends on several factors such as lifestyle habits, age, diet, the extent of the damaged portion of the knee, etc.
Those who are suffering from severe osteoarthritis are ideal candidates for the surgery. Those with severe pain and knee stiffness due to which daily activities have become a menace should consider understanding traditional versus robotic knee replacement and choosing the ideal option. It is suggested to the patient only when all forms of physical therapy and medication fail to deliver results.
Visit Germanten Hospital if you are experiencing pain and stiffness in your knee. The experienced medical team, with the availability of advanced technology, can conduct effective and safe knee replacement surgery. So, book your appointment now!